Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday, SUNDAY, sunday.

So, another open to close day. 14 hours of... coffeeeeeee!

On the upside, I did quite a bit more about profiles and standards today.
Some notes shared with me in contrast to our initial profiles, and Diedrich's recommendations.

Drop temperature calibrated by density, and batch size, so that the roast not only bottoms out somewhere between 160-180, but that lower grown coffees are given a slightly gentler entry into the pre-first crack slingshot- so to speak.

9 minutes from bottom out is a good general target for first crack.
4 minutes from rolling first crack is a great target for all of the appropriate chemistry that is to take place- as the roast evens out, so to speak.

Here's an updated profile from today. I was so discouraged by yesterday's profiles and results being just blah that I dumped all of the previous coffee- and started over. Even though the coffee was drinkable, and perhaps some of our customers might not have known the difference, I believe it is this very fact that separates good from excellent. The coffee is either exciting or it isn't. I know the beans cup well. I know the sample roasts have huge potential.

Speaking of potential, let me say goodbye once again to our Audrey Tatou lookalike- along with a photo or two from last night's farewell bash.







































And now another profile, one I felt had much better results. - Actually I'll post more soon, I'm exhausted, time to feed the cats and sleep.